Welcome to a completely new way of receiving legal services
Under a Sierra Monthly Plan, Sierra Legal provides expert corporate and commercial legal advisory services for a fixed monthly fee, rather than the traditional method of charging clients based on the number of hours spent providing those services.
The Sierra Monthly Plans offer clients a number of advantages, particularly in that they encourage early and regular contact with experienced legal advisers (rather than seeking advice after issues have escalated), and without the fear of receiving unexpected invoices for legal fees.
The 3 plans below are designed for businesses with up to 100 employees. We also offer a tailored “Enterprise” monthly plan for businesses with more than 100 employees – please contact us for further information:
- Up to 10 Hotline Calls* per month
- Legal services for up to 2 Commercial Matters** per month
- 5% discount on legal fees for all legal work carried out by Sierra Legal outside the Monthly Plan
- Unlimited Hotline Calls* per month
- Legal services for up to 4 Commercial Matters** per month
- 7.5% discount on legal fees for all legal work carried out by Sierra Legal outside the Monthly Plan
- Half yearly 1 hour review with a Sierra Legal Director to discuss your legal requirements and goals
- Unlimited Hotline Calls* per month
- Legal services for unlimited Commercial Matters** per month
- 10% discount on legal fees for all legal work carried out by Sierra Legal outside the Monthly Plan
- Half yearly 2 hour review with a Sierra Legal Director to discuss your legal requirements and goals
- Assisting you with the legal work for up to 1 Corporate Transaction*** per year
Advantages of the Sierra Monthly Plans
The Sierra Monthly Plans offer you the following advantages:
- Greater certainty with legal costs - the fixed monthly fee is not linked to the actual number of hours we spend performing the relevant legal services. This gives clients the advantage of consistent monthly costs for legal services, compared with the “lumpiness” that can arise from time-based invoicing.
- Lower legal costs – overall, a Sierra Monthly Plan should result in lower legal advisory costs for you, with there being no room for cost blowouts under a fixed monthly fee.
- Access to an experienced team of senior advisers - the Sierra Legal staff performing your work will always be at Partner, Principal, Director, Special Counsel or Senior Associate level.
- Flexibility and convenience - you can easily end the arrangement by giving one month’s notice (except in the limited circumstances outlined below).
- Streamlined billing - we typically provide one monthly invoice under a Sierra Monthly Plan, rather than multiple invoices covering individual matters (having said that, if required, we can include detailed breakdowns of work performed each month).
- Facilitates better knowledge of your business - the Sierra Monthly Plans allow us to be across all day-to-day legal matters, which in turn ensures that our services are provided efficiently and in a manner that is tailored to your requirements.
- Early and regular contact with legal advisers - the Sierra Monthly Plans encourage early and regular contact by your staff with legal advisers, before issues escalate and without fear of receiving large and unexpected invoices.
Other important information
On commencing with a Sierra Monthly Plan, we will provide you with a Sierra Legal contact list for circulation within your organisation, so that you or any of your staff can contact the appropriate person at Sierra Legal when required.
Changing or ending a Sierra Monthly Plan
Once a Sierra Monthly Plan is implemented, we can of course agree to make changes to the scope of services or the amount of the fixed monthly fee under the relevant Plan. Either you or Sierra Legal can also end the Plan at any time by giving at least one month’s notice. However, where in any year of a Premium Plan we work on a Corporate Transaction, you need to give us at least 6 months’ notice of termination.
* Hotline Calls: telephone calls of up to 20 minutes' duration to discuss Commercial Matters.
** Commercial Matters: corporate and commercial legal services on “day-to-day” matters relating to Australian law, including:
drafting and negotiation of commercial contracts including:
standard terms and conditions of trade;
product supply contracts;
intellectual property agreements;
information technology contracts; and
Corporations Act and ASX Listing Rules advice;
company, trade mark, domain name and business name advice and registrations;
advertising reviews and clearance advice;
drafting employment contracts, executive services agreements and independent contractor agreements; and
drafting and issuing letters of demand.
However, “Commercial Matters” does not include:
litigation, mediation, arbitration or any other dispute resolution process (beyond letter of demand stage);
investigations or audits by regulatory authorities;
mergers, acquisitions, divestments and joint ventures;
IPOs and capital raisings;
employment matters (other than drafting of employment contracts and executive services agreements); and
any other matter that we determine is not a “day-to-day” commercial legal matter.